Low Cal Dinner: Baked (Mock Fried) Chicken with Mushroom Sauce and a Side Salad (Total Calories: 510)
I’m turning a new leaf.
I want to do life well and I want to become the healthy and strong person I’ve always wanted to be.
A huge part of that is taking control of my cooking and eating choices for the first time in my life. As a wife and mother of three young children, I want to make these changes now – before my kids are old enough to fight me in the process.
Tonight’s experiment was a WIN! I had an intense craving for fried chicken, but I didn’t want to waste my workout, so I decided to make a baked version, mock fried chicken, if you will. It was DIVINE! Crunchy, flavorful, healthful, and oh, so satisfying!
Here’s what you’ll need…
For the chicken:
- 1-2 pounds of boneless, skinless, thin-sliced chicken breast (4-5 fillets)
- 2 Eggs
- 5 TBS spelt flour
- 3 TBS almond meal
- 1/2 TBS golden roasted flax seeds
- 1 Tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 Tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 Tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 Tsp ground black pepper
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil (as a non-stick coating for the pan)
For the mushroom sauce:
- 1 TBS butter
- 7-8 button mushrooms, chopped, stems removed
- 1.5 C heavy whipping cream
- about 2 Tsp of kosher salt (or to taste)
- about 1 Tsp ground black pepper (or to taste)
Let’s get started!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Prepare a baking sheet with tin foil (optional but saves you having to wash it) and 2 TB extra virgin olive oil (use fingers to spread it evenly across entire surface of pan)
- Beat two eggs in one bowl
- In a separate bowl, stir all the dry ingredients from the chicken recipe together until fully combined
- Dredge each breast fillet, first in the egg mixture, then in the dry ingredient mixture
- Arrange breaded breast fillets on pan at least 1-inch apart
- Bake for 25-30 minutes (depending on your desired doneness level)
- Switch your broiler on to HIGH and broil breast fillets for 5-7 minutes to develop a crispy crust
While the chicken is broiling, make the mushroom sauce:
- Clean and remove the stems from 7-8 button mushrooms
- Chop mushrooms into 1/8 – 1/4 inch cubes
- Heat 1 TBS butter in saucepan on medium heat
- Sauté mushroom until their liquid starts to drain out (about 3 minutes)
- Add salt and pepper to taste (I used about 2 Tsp of kosher salt and about 1 Tsp ground black pepper)
- Increase heat to medium-high and sauté mushrooms until the liquid in the pan cooks off (about 3 minutes), stirring intermittently
- Add 1.5 C heavy whipping cream and stir until fully combined
- Test flavor for additional seasoning (if needed)
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce thickens (about 3 minutes)
- Drizzle over chicken and prepare to be in HEAVEN!
My side salad is 2 C Romain leaves, 1 serving (1.5 TBS) homemade Hidden Valley buttermilk ranch dressing (from packet), and 1 TBS grated parmesan romano cheese (I get mine from Trader Joe’s).
This meal has a total calorie count of 510 calories and is O, SO YUMMY!
Until Next Time My Friends,
The Taylor of All Trades